march meeting minutes

1st Meeting of Network – Tuesday 1st March 2011 Minutes
We met in a coffee shop in St James Street. An agenda was passed around and everyone had the opportunity to contribute to it. We then began, having asked for and accepted a volunteer facilitator amongst us.

Latest Planning Application re: Alcohol Licensing
There is a template letter to object to the Alcohol License on the left hand side of
“No more supermarkets in Kemptown” facebook Group
http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_163901036986187&ap=1

This information can also be found on the Website: http://www.kemptown.wordpress.com
A repository of useful links for press, template letters etc.

All objections need to be in before 4th March 2011
ACTION REQUIRED Several people in attendance agreed to action this point

2. Planning Usage
The planning issues of Parking & Loading Bay need to be checked out
ACTION REQUIRED One of the people in attendance agreed to take this on and action it

Sainsburys intend to utilise the change of use that Taj applied for in 2007 (and never used). This concerns A1, A3 & A5. This would mean them switching from A1 only to A1 & A3 usage.
This need to be checked out and investigated more thoroughly
ACTION REQUIRED One of the people in attendance agreed to take this on and action it

3. Debrief from Squat
The last day was Thursday 24/03/2011. They resisted eviction and remained inside and on the roof this dissuaded the Bailiffs coming in on that day. The remaining squatters had only committed to that one day and then they left.
The Banners are still there.
The venue is not able to be used for any public events in the current legal state.
The venue now has 24 hours security.
4. Left over Tat
An attendee said that she had all left over things at her flat this was only possible for the next 2 weeks. She felt that they would be useful for another event.
All books from the Library were at another address (at the friends’ home of an attendee)
A number of attendees agreed to organise a further Squat debrief meeting, for those concerned, after our meeting had ended.

5. Future Meetings
Monday 07 March 13:00 – 13:30 Keep Brighton Unique – Petition Handover @ Outside Taj, 13-15 Old Steine, Brighton
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=158208100899307

Monday 07 March 18:30 – 20:30 Open planning meeting @ Community Base, Queens Road, Brighton
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=200357403324597
The room booked holds a maximum of 100 people.
The purpose of the meeting will be ‘Next steps’- what to do next.
It will be facilitated.
ACTION REQUIRED One of the people in attendance agreed to take this on and action it

6. It was agreed that all MPs, Councillors & Tom French would be invited
ACTION REQUIRED One of the people in attendance agreed to take this on and action it

7. All actions on behalf of the Network should be copied to the facebook Group “No more supermarkets in Kemptown”
http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_163901036986187&ap=1

8. Letters to be written
Letters of Complaint should be sent to Sainsburys
ACTION REQUIRED Several people in attendance agreed to action this point

Letters of Complaint should be sent to Sainsburys Planners
ACTION REQUIRED Several people in attendance agreed to action this point

Inundate them with Complaint letters. It is a numbers game.

Don’t forget the Objections to the Alcohol License to be in by 4th March
ACTION REQUIRED Several people in attendance agreed to action this point
By all means use the template letters but also write and use your own please.

9. Nature of Campaign
It was raised that groups have a louder voice (based on previous campaigns). The network of people in attendance felt that they would carry more sway as a ‘concerned member of the public’ rather than as ‘a group,’ this concept was briefly discussed and accepted. It was felt that it was best to act as individuals; concerned citizens, not as a group, who came together only to share, exchange ideas and aspirations.

10. Photos
Photographs of Taj occupation / Anti Sainsburys were requested to be posted on the Group page “No more supermarkets in Kemptown”
http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_163901036986187&ap=1
ACTION REQUIRED A few of the people in attendance agreed to take this on and action it

One person in attendance informed us that there was a mini documentary in process of being edited, it should be ready soon and would be posted as a link
ACTION REQUIRED One of the people in attendance is in process of actioning this matter

11. Make contacts

The facilitator agreed to contact a couple of people & contact details were passed over to him

12. Email Addresses
All email addresses provided on the sheets used need to be typed up to produce an email list these lists should be emailed to indykemptown@gmail.com
ACTION REQUIRED One of the people in attendance agreed to take this on and action it

13. Press
One person in attendance informed us that they had a list of journalists contact details and would email them to another attendee for them to contact them on the networks behalf
ACTION REQUIRED One of the people in attendance agreed to take this on and action it

One person in attendance informed us that they lived on the same street as both the Argus Web Editor and the Web Editor for The Guardian; they agreed to approach them for the network and ask if they could do a positive piece on the issues concerned
ACTION REQUIRED One of the people in attendance agreed to take this on and action it

It was agreed that all press coverage thus far would be posted on the Group page “No more supermarkets in Kemptown”
http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_163901036986187&ap=1
ACTION REQUIRED One of the people in attendance agreed to take this on and action it

It was suggested that one person co-ordinate all future press (PR & Marketing) coverage and that perhaps a separate email address is set up to achieve this thus keeping everything in one place
ACTION REQUIRED One of the people in attendance agreed to take this on and action it until the next meeting

Please use nomoresupermarkets@hotmail.co.uk as the email address for all press enquiries

14. Objective of the Network
It was agreed after a brief discussion to leave this matter for another time as it was considered to be a large fundamental issue which we did not have enough time to fully explore, discuss and agree in the limited time we had left at this meeting.

15. National Planning Law Campaign
The Localism bill will NOT sort this – we need to ensure that all decisions in the future are made locally as currently all the things we need, love and care about are not in the existing planning laws. Thus we need to lobby to get the planning laws changed. There was not enough time to discuss this issue in depth this evening thus it needs to be carried forward to the next agenda.

16. TV Program on this issue & Radio Show on this issue
Two attendees explained that they already have friends (Film maker & Radio contact) who have expressed interest in producing these
ACTION REQUIRED Two of the people in attendance agreed to take this on and action it and report back to the next meeting as there was not enough time to discuss this issue in depth this evening thus it needs to be carried forward to the next agenda.

17. People’s Supermarket
This was only discussed briefly: This is a big issue and would cost lots of money. There was not time to discuss this issue in depth this evening thus it needs to be carried forward to the next agenda.

18. Community Events
There was not time to discuss this issue in depth this evening thus it needs to be carried forward to the next agenda.

19. CHECK-IN Re: Tonight’s MEETING
Request not to have a meeting in a coffee shop next time due to noise interference
Good to sit with a bunch of people who care about it
Thought it would be more a de-brief of squat

20. Next Meeting
Tuesday 15th March 2011 6-8pm Venue to be advised
One of the people in attendance agreed to check with their boss to see if we could meet at their place of work (in St James Street) next time and will let us know.
One of the people in attendance told us that we could hire a room at Community Base for approx £6-00 per hour.

The meeting finished

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s